August 1 - 10, 2020
November 11 - 20, 2020
East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia
Secret Location in East Nusa Tenggara
8-Waves Within 30-Minutes Boat Ride
Easy Access From Bali (1-hour flight + 2-hours drive)
Nestled atop a hill at one of Indonesia's most picturesque location, this off-the-grid eco resort faces a right-hander world-class wave. It is one of the most consistent wave in the area, barreling on the right tides and swells, and playful on higher tides. It suits intermediate and advanced surfers.
The place was built by Nihiwatu's ex surf-guide who lived in the area for 15-years and knows all the waves and hidden gems in the East Nusa Tenggara region. He has insisted to not give any further details on the location, it can't be found on Google map either. It has been promoted only through word-of-mouth until today.
The variety and quality of the waves found in this area is impressive. We may also surf by ourselves on a daily basis.
This surfing program is designed for:
You’ve surfed enough to be hooked with surfing. You know how to take off, start doing turns and confident with your paddling. You want to improve your basic surf maneuvers and want to start learning more advanced maneuvers. You are fit enough to spend up to 4-hours surfing a day. You may also have been surfing for years but not consistently enough to see a progression and want to see a change in your surfing.
You surf consistently since already few years. You look out for the good swells and occasionally know how to find barrels and throw a spray after a snap. You want to deepen your surf techniques to bring more flow and power in your surfing. You are ready to push your surf to the next level.
What’s on the program? Surf Coaching & More.
- STAY 9-Nights at an off-the-grid retreat, nestled atop a hill overlooking the ocean.
- EAT delicious meals prepared from the permaculture garden or from the sea. (Vegetarian / Pescetarian menu)
- SURF a variety of waves. Up to 8 waves are accessible within 30-minutes via speed boat.
- BE TAUGHT by World-Class instructors and improve your surfing with professional surf coaching and body therapy through yoga and other practices.
- BREATHE during an initiation to breath-work techniques
- CONNECT with inspiring and like minded people.
- BRING BACK professional photography of yourself surfing
- EXPLORE the island’s surrounding and dive into a pristine waterfall. (optional)
The Waves in East Nusa Tenggara – What is the surf like in November?
You will experience one of the least explored coastline of Indonesia. A lack of road accesses and accommodations have kept the crowd away. Though, there are as many quality waves as in Bali, both rights and lefts that awake with different kind of winds and swells. There is always an option, for all kind of levels, from beginners to pros alike.
November is a prime time to surf this area as trade winds will have stopped. It will be either glassy or caressed by very slight winds. Most of the spots don’t need much swell to work. We expect the average day to be around 4-5 foot, though we did enjoy 8 footer waves during our past retreat there.
What is the surf like in August?
Because of strong trade winds, surf charters do not venture in this area at this time of the year. What is less known is that many spots actually work well with those winds. We have planned the retreat according to the tides so we also make sure to enjoy glassy mornings at our favourite waves, especially the one out-front the retreat. The August retreat also includes a day trip to World Class Waves located further east and that has high chances to break during this time of the year.
NEW – Improve your Surf Techniques on SmoothStar Surf Trainers
We’ve recently incorporated the use of the SmoothStar surf trainers in our surf coaching programs and it has been a game changer for everyone that has practiced on it. It is now part of all our retreats (except on boat charters).
After practicing Power Surf techniques on land, you will be guided into repeating those movements on the SmoothStar surf trainers. Through a step by step course taught by Rodrigo Machado, you will learn how to perform advanced manoeuvres in a very short time. It is not needed to have any prior experience with skating. Three workshops with the SmoothStar surf trainers will be taught over the 9-days retreat.
Find out more about SmoothStar surf trainer here.
Rodrigo Machado – Surf Coach and Founder of the Power Surf Training
Rodrigo is a Brazilian surfer and founder of the POWER SURF movement. Throughout his 20-years of surfing experience, he has deepened his teachings in the art of ‘Surf Hacks’ throughout 4 major pillars that are Physical, Technical, Tactical and Psychological. The POWER SURF is born from his practices of yoga and self-knowledge, the art of breathing and meditating, natural gymnastic and capoeira acrobatic movements. Rodrigo teaches surfers looking to perform better from intermediate to advanced levels of surfing. He now lives in the Bask Country, working as a surf-coach at Pukas Surf Eskola and also performs physical surf training at Hurley Surf Club.
Uriel – Ocean Cinematographer
Originally from the French Bask country, Uriel has been spending his past 5-years in Indonesia, “chasing waves and light”. Traveling with the bare minimum you need to stay stoke: a camera, a surfboard and a yoga mat. His mission is to bring awareness to our Oceans and more consciousness to our planet, through creativity and art. And when waves are pumping, he’ll be there sitting in the water waiting for you to exit the barrel.
Nina – Yoga Teacher, Dancer, Surfer & Student of Life
Bali based with Italian roots, is living the Indo dream between waves and spiritual journey. Since her young adulthood, she has been dedicated to her personal discovery, connecting with people, spreading love and light wherever she goes. She believes in every form of love and deeply passionate about inspiring others to live in the present moment, in alignment with their intuition and explore their true self.
Certified in Ashtanga and Hatha based Vinyasa and In Kundalini Yoga at the foothills of the Himalaya and Goa, on the mat she teaches an Hatha-Vinyasa Flow and Restorative yoga inspired by the Tantric tradition, based on alignment and awareness with sequences that integrates breathing, asana, kriyas and meditation. Encouraging the exploration of physical and subtle bodies to manage your energy, recover quicker, be mentally focused and connected with your inner self…ready for the next surf session .The aim is to elevate people consciousness and spiritual connection with nature with what she like to call the wild side.
Secret Location in East Nusa Tenggara
- Stay in open-air bamboo bungalows and villa atop a hill.
- Picturesque location, ocean view facing the surf spot.
- Shared Room between 2 to 3 persons. Private Room can be requested.
- Infinity Pool, 24 meter solar powered and salt water chlorinated accessible over a 60 meter cable bridge spanning 20 meters above the forest below.
-Speed Boat, 12-meter long and twin 175 horsepower aluminum
|Early Bird (For the first 5 participants to register)||Regular Ticket|
|11-20 November||Sold Out||US$ 3400|
|1-10 August||US$ 3600 (2 left)||
*The August Retreat include an extra boat trip to World Class waves that have high chances to break during this time of the year. In fact, we planned the dates of the trip making sure we’d have the best tides for it. We’ll be going to 2 different World-Class waves (right & left handers).
A 30% non-refundable deposit is due to save your spot. Full payment 60-days before the starting date of the retreat.
What’s included ?
Dates & Itinerary
The arrival destination is just an-hour flight away from Bali’s International airport. Two-hours drive later, you’ll be arriving at the retreat.
We will of course help you plan your trip and recommend best flight options.
Have questions? Ask us we are happy to help!
Interested in joining our East Nusa Tenggara Surf Retreat?
Limited Space, Reserve Your Spot Now!
Things to know and pack for the retreat
Malaria is still present in this part of Indonesia – One should consider taking a malaria prophylactic, we recommend Malarone or something similar. There are also good herbal preventatives that can be chewed daily on site for prevention if desired(very bitter though). This being said, long sleeves during sunrise and sunset times combined to mosquito repellant can be enough to keep the mosquitoes away.
Suggested Packing List
Of course this list will vary dramatically from person to person we feel this list offers a pretty good start.
- Headlamp is a must. Preferably one with a “Red” option as well. As well as spare -or preferably- rechargeable batteries for it.
- Travel insurance is highly recommended, preferably one with a “medi-vac” option
- Sunblock, physical sun blocks preferred to chemical ones. We like Soleo, or Surf Yogis brand. SPF 40 plus recommended
- Hat or visor
- Reusable water bottle-hydro flask, nalgene, etc…something you can fill at the retreat and take on adventures
- Unlocked device for Internet connection over cellular network if desired- must be UNLOCKED and open for use by any internet provider, currently we will only get signal from Telkomsel provider, other SIMs won’t work. All sizes of SIM cards are available in Indonesia and can be bought locally or arranged at the retreat.
- ATM is available in town an hour away, not much to buy out there but you may find swords, textiles, beads, or the like that make good souvenirs. Good idea to bring a few million rupiah cash so you’re covered, there are safes in the rooms for cash, valuables, documents, and devices though this is a very safe place. Any charges incurred at the resort are best settled with cash on checkout.
- Beach towel/sarong if desired- we provide regular towels in the rooms
- Solid sandals (thongs if your Aussies), not the 2 dollar kind. These can be used to go most anywhere, but for those of you planning on doing serious adventuring you will want to bring running shoes.
- All toiletries- very little available on the island
- A first aid kit, all scratches, scrapes, blisters, wounds need special attention here. Things get infected in the tropics quickly if not looked after. Should include but not limited to betadine, bandaids, gauze pads, antibiotic powder (better than ointments in the heat), a course of antibiotics for Bali belly or related sickness, and a course of antibiotics for flesh wounds, always better to be overly prepared than not have what you need
- Any prescription or regular medicines you may require, ,also Benadryl topical and/or oral is highly recommended for individuals that may have allergic reactions to mozzy or sandfly bites
- Light long-sleeve shirts and long pants for nights. The months June-August are mildly chilly and we’d recommend a little something warm for those months. Especially if you plan on dawn patrol boat trips which happen often.
- Spring or long sleeve rashy for protection from the reef and long hours in the water. Surf leggings or full body lycra “stinger” suits are suitable as well if you find yourself susceptible to aquatic life like sea-lice
- Reef walking shoes/surf booties for tidepool adventures on the low tides, these are generally not needed for surfing though. There are several pairs available at the retreat if you have a “normal” foot size.
- Boogie board/body surf fins and lycra socks with surf tethers if you like that sort of thing. Da Fin brand are generally the professional standard
- Electricity is supplied during daytime hours only 7 am- 9 pm, it’s 220 volts and Indonesian sockets, we have adapters here for your use
- Multitool- Gerber or Leatherman type recommended, may come in handy
- Mask and Fins for snorkeling if you’re really seriously into it and have ones that you like
- Compact umbrella for full sun activities, would be a luxury
- Rehydration packets to be mixed with water, emergen-c, liquimins, or the like
- Light clothes, average temperature 75-90 degrees
- Light rain jacket, while not likely to receive much rain during your trip, this may come in handy, optional if trying to pack light, depends on time of year you plan on visiting-March and April/October and November have the possibility of some rain.
- Wet wipes, like baby wipes for cleaning your hands and faces during outings and travels
- Water clothes, board shorts, bikinis, rash guards, and the like
- Print out of all travel documents including passport
- Bug spray of preference,
- Prescription glasses if you require as well as a back up pair.